There are still a few weeks to go before crops like squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, and beans can be safely planted out in the gardens. Last night and the night before temperatures dipped down to 28 degrees freezing thin films of ice on the sheep’s and chickens’ water buckets. Grass blades and fence wires were coated with spiky crystals of ice in the early hours of morning. But soon temperatures rose and it felt a little too warm to be dressed in a sweater and lined pants.
I am building another trellis in the meantime. This one is for my winter squash. It is part of a raised bed that I built last fall from layers of soil, bedding, and spoiled hay. Over the weekend I added another thick layer of soggy spoiled hay to the raised bed to replace what had decomposed. Today, I attached long poles of balsam fir to the upright posts using wood screws to hold them in place. Against these I leaned shorter poles of balsam fir and attached them with wood screws also. Tomorrow thin saplings of fir and spruce will be attached to the leaning poles. These will be what the winter squash vines are to climb on. Squash tends to wander so it may take a little training to get that to happen.
After the trellis is finished tomorrow the next project is to start planting cabbage, cauliflower, kale, and broccoli seeds in the East Garden. That should not take long so if I feel energetic I will begin laying down mulch where the flour corn is to go. The weather forecast predicts mild sunny days ahead and no chance of rain until Saturday. Should be able to get a lot done.
My tomatoes are looking good after re-potting but from Saturday to Monday the daytime temperatures were cool so I had to keep them inside most of the time. The newer growth is a little pale but that is only temporary. I’ve re-potted the hot peppers and am hardening them off. Both the tomatoes and peppers are brought in every night just in case the temperatures drop suddenly.
The Chapman and Crimson rhubarb roots I ordered have finally begun to grow leaves. They looked awful when on arrival, all dried up and no signs of life. A few more weeks in their gallon pots to get healthy and then to the garden with the rest of the rhubarb.